Immigration FAQs

Reminders for F-1 students

What is an I-20?

An I-20:

• is a U.S. government document that allows you to study at WESLI.
• lists your program start date and end date.

**All the information on an I-20 needs to be up-to-date during your study at WESLI. It is a very important document, so please keep this form safe.

How do I keep my F-1 status?

You must:

• have a valid I-20 from WESLI. If your I-20 is going to expire soon, talk to us.
• study full-time.
• not accept off-campus employment.
• not let your passport expire.
• pay tuition and other WESLI fees.

Can I transfer to another school?

Yes, if:

  • you are NOT out-of-status.
  • you don’t owe money to WESLI.
  • another school in the U.S. has accepted you. To prove this, show the new school’s acceptance letter to WESLI administrative staff. 
  • you have decided to attend the new school. To prove this, show the transfer request form from the new school, and sign it. WESLI administrative staff will then complete your transfer.

**Please note that there is only one I-20 record per student in the immigration system. Once your I-20 is transferred out of WESLI, it means you must report to the new school to study there. WESLI is no longer able to make any changes to your I-20 record. If you sign a transfer request form, but decide you don’t want to transfer to the new school, you will have a problem and must contact the new school.

What do I need to do if I want to travel?

• If you want to travel within the U.S., you don’t need to do anything.
• If you want to travel outside the U.S. and not return to the U.S., you don’t need to do anything.
• If you want to travel outside the U.S. and return to the U.S., you must have WESLI administrative staff sign your I-20. You also must study full-time when you come back.

What if I want to stay in the U.S. without studying full-time?

You must:

• have been at WESLI as a full-time student for at least four consecutive sessions.
• register before you leave for vacation for full-time classes for the session starting after your break.
You must leave the U.S. within 60 days of your last day of full-time study.
You must transfer to another school within 60 days of your last day of full-time study.

Two Important Immigration Facts for F-1 Students

• If you move, please email or with your address change within 10 days of your move.
• If you do not register for class and do not tell us your plans, your record in SEVIS (Immigration’s electronic record of students) will automatically be deleted. You will be out-of-status. This is a very big problem and part of your permanent immigration record.

Please talk to the administrative staff at WESLI if you have any questions about this information.

%d bloggers like this: