Welcome to ALS 500 & 600! You are in the right place if you are looking for your extensive listening opportunities. If you are not an ALS 500 or 600 student that’s ok – you can still attend these events if you would like. If you are an ALS 500 or 600 student, you need to attend one of the events from the list below. After you attend one of these events, write a brief summary and reaction – you can ask your teacher if you have any questions about this. This is the THIRD Extensive Listening Log opportunity of the session – make sure you talk to your teacher about when your ELL is due.
1) WUD Film: Dear White People (2014)
Racial tensions on a predominantly white college campus are brought into the open by a black student's radio program in a brilliant "satire on being a black face in a white place" by breakout director Justin Simien. Co-presented by UW-Housing and the Campus Multicultural Center
- Thursday, January 29th 7-8:50pm
- Friday, January 29th 6-7:50pm
- Saturday, January 31 8:30-10:20pm
- Monday, February 2 3:30-5pm
Location: Union South The Marquee, second floor
2) UW Cinematheque: The Cannon Canon "Runaway Train"
3) Arboretum Night Walk : The Snow Moon
Free hike led by a naturalist. Great horned owls go quiet in February, but barred owls may be calling. If the owls are silent, we will stargaze and listen for other creatures active on a late winter night.
When: Saturday, January 31 6:30-8:30pm OR Sunday February 1 at 1-2:30pm
Location: Visitor Center at UW-Madison Arboretum
4) UW Cinematheque: Wisconsin's Own Orson Welles: The Magnificent Ambersons
5) Black History Month Kick Off Event: Soul Sunday